For general information, see the ADCIRC site, ADCIRC FAQ, or the ADCIRC Wikipedia page. For model documentation not yet available on the wiki, see the ADCIRC site. New content is being continuously added to the ADCIRCWiki, and material from the main ADCIRC site will be gradually transitioned over to the wiki.
Global Storm Tide - Hurricane Katrina
This example tests ADCIRC version 55 (and beyond). It tests the simulation of the storm tides on the spherical Earth under astronomical and atmospheric forcing during August 2005 when Hurricane Katrina impacted the Gulf of Mexico. The results of interest are the global elevations, velocities and meteorology. The test finishes in about 5 minutes in serial ADCIRC for a full month of simulation. Find the test at the GitHub test suite.
The mesh is a coarse representation of the spherical Earth with minimum resolution of approximately 50 km, comprised of 27,330 vertices and 50,859 triangular elements.
- ICS = -22: Uses the Mercator projection with a coordinate rotation to remove the pole singularity (need to provide a fort.rotm.
- IM = 513113: Uses the fully implicit scheme for the gravity wave term (computational time step is 12 minutes).
- NTIP = 2: equilibrium tide + self-attraction and loading tide (read from a fort.24 file) forcing for 10 tidal constituents.
- NWS = -14: reads from GRIB2 files that specify the global atmospheric forcing (6-hourly CFS reanalysis data) in addition to OWI ASCII files that specify the 3-hourly atmospheric forcing in the Hurricane Katrina landfall region.
- WTIMINC = 21600, 10800: First value gives the temporal interval of the GRIB2 met data (6 hours), second value gives the temporal interval of the OWI met data (3 hours) in seconds.
- A00, B00, C00 = 0.5, 0.5, 0: Ensures that the fully implicit scheme is stable with a large time step.
- ESLM = -0.2: enables the Smagorinsky turbulence closure with a coefficient of 0.2.
- NOUTGE = 5: outputs the global elevations into a netCDF4 fort.63 file.
- NOUTGV = 5: outputs the global velocities into a netCDF4 fort.64 file.
- NOUTGM = 5: outputs the global meteorology into netCDF4 fort.73 file (pressure) and fort.74 file (velocity).
- internal_tide_friction: spatially varying linear wave drag fort.13 file attribute accounting for energy conversion due to internal tide generation in the deep ocean.
- quadratic_friction_coefficient: spatially varying quadratic bottom friction fort.13 file attribute.